Tuesday, September 23, 2008

T-6 Today I saw

a man, homeless according to his sign which also asked for money, at the stop light of a busy intersection. My American reaction: Red Side - he's able bodied, can work if he's out here all day begging, avoid eye contact and he wont see you and can't ask you for money. Oh and no abortions for you either! The homeless man walked by my window silently, looking down the road at the million dollars worth of cars their drivers tapping steering wheels impatient to move but conditioned to stay at the color of blood blinking. Some angrily saw red. My Blue Side: wondered if he had any knowledge of the programs, many of which I had worked for or with. If he was hungry, addicted, mentally ill or just unfortunate. The Blue Side reached for my wallet as the bloody blinking red light turned to gas guzzling green and honking horns urged me on my way. The human in me wanted to know his story so that I might not become it. The poet in me, he who will be traveling, wondered if I would have to hold a sign in the coming days. The modern day axiom came to mind : "we are all 2 paychecks from being homeless"

I turned around and stopped at a gas station to get change for the man and chips for the tuna sandwhich waiting for me at home. A woman was standing in front of the clerk next to be served but let others go before her as she counted her change and looked at her purchase. Bread. I bought my chips, gave her the change and went home. My days regret-I didnt give something to both of them. My days success-when I gave the change to the woman I wasn't thinking of the homeless man. It was from the heart. My days guilt-that I had to tell you about the woman at all.