Wednesday, November 5, 2008

You have earned your puppy girls (random euphoric musings)




A paraphrase of something the President Elect said to his daughters. Among all that happened this was as significant a statement to me as the acceptance and concession speeches. A daddy talking to his girls. Michelle Obama, such a beautiful supportive sister, I think that she has inadvertently started a trend. Maybe...just maybe many and more sisters (not saying that many dont right now) will look at their man, son, brother, uncle, father, etc but mainly their mate and ask themselves "could he be president?" and if the answer is "no" will demand more from their men. How beautiful will it be when we can say...President Elect Michelle Obama...or Oprah Winfrey (but like I did with Obama I will still need to know her politics:-) I'm cautiously ecstatic here in Brooklyn it was insane in both good and bad ways. A sister stood alone on the corner talking with her mother on the phone and broke down while telling her Obama was elected. I watched her almost guiltily not knowing if I should turn away or offer her a hand/hug. She watched me watch her and smiled. It was ok. Car horns blared the dorms/building windows at Pratt were filled with college students screaming, cheering as loud as those in the streets. The liquor store was packed (they close @ midnight here) and there was some real ignorance in there I wont touch that right now but a future blog is in the works. Someone celebrated with the wrong kind of "fireworks" and groups of revelers stood on corners and roamed the streets. It was magical here. I wonder what their thinking and feeling in places like South Carolina (where I went to college), North Carolina where the battle was/is so close that to my knowledge it was 50/50. And I dont ask this in gloat I really wonder if the hurt of McCain supporters is equal to the elation of Obama supporters. How did you celebrate (or mourn) the election of Barack Obama and let me be the first to ask...Where were you when Barack Obama was elected President of the United States of America?

4 comments:

Naturally Alise said...

Got to see it with friends and all you could hear was the resounding sigh of relief, a hush and then cheering..... and I called my 'somebody special' to share the joy.... my rainy dreary day turned into something beyond special that I don't have enough words in my vocabulary to describe and I will never forget it, never...

Anonymous said...

I kissed the two babies I had with me at the time (Their parents were out on the town for an anniversary dinner, what a cool evening to celebrate), and watched the news with my six month old and six year old buddies. When I asked the oldest if he understood what was happening, he said in a tiny, sleepy voice "Yes,Obama won". I said, "That's right baby" and put him to bed, hoping the "fireworks" wouldn't wake them.

Naturally Alise said...

@ solita, that is such a sweet story... so heartwarming :)

Kofi Bofah said...

This is a good read.

My Chicago Election Day Diary

Check it out...