Thursday, October 23, 2008

Culture in the Carolinas

Performed at the Wine Up in Charlotte tonight. It is amazing to see a cultural/artistic community flourishing as it does here. I truly feel that I am witnessing the birth of a Renaissance when I visit Charlotte. Not to take anything away from Bull City and the Triangle, but this area of NC is a cultural explosion in the realms of art and culture much of which is homegrown but some international. (i.e.the world famous Durham Blues Festival among other things) The movement is growing in NC in general. Venues and events abound everywhere from Kinston (Hey Inkstress!), down to Fayetteville, to Wilmington and I'm sure places I don't know but more important than venues is that the integrity of art, and not just spoken word poetry, remains intact. Venues like Mansion 462 in Chapel Hill, Wine Up in Charlotte, Hayti Center (home of the Jambalaya Soul Slam), events like the Royal Slam in Raleigh (C.O.R.E) and Downtown Live ( I think it's called), Spoken word Wednesday's at the 4030 club in Raleigh (not sure of their status right now) as well as the incredible Black Poetry Theater troupe who perform everywhere! (Sup Church?!) exhibit how much art is a part of culture of the Carolinas and it is one of the reason's I am glad to call Durham my home... when I get back that is. As I am traveling and may wind up anywhere the inspiration blows me I would love to hear from the "Roamers", "Cubers", (Shouts to Tiha and Alliterally Alise) or anyone just passing through. What are some venues, events, lakes, mountains, deserts, (u get the nature theme) or sights that need to be seen in your city? (good, bad, ghetto, or majestic....)

1 comment:

eysqueen said...

atlanta is full of cra- I mean venues, but the one that has my heart is Apache because: they hang art from local artists on the wall to sell, the DJ is so in touch with what good music is, I almost want to propose to him, they mix figure drawing models-figure drawing-and food all at the same time as an event. and the people who attend are so freaking cool! big ups to Apache!