Friday, October 10, 2008

Pit stop from the past....

The club is the best place to people watch. Mildly coaxed by my brothers we went to a new spot tonight. New to me as the last time I did clubs in Columbia is when I managed one. I really didn’t feel the forcefully festive atmosphere but everyone else pretended to so I did as well. We had a typical man night. Drank with the fellas, looked at those who wanted/tried to be looked at, bobbed my head to songs I knew, pretended to know songs I didn’t while bobbing my head.

Changes:

  • Daisy Duke’s and low cut blouses replaced by dresses that flow at the top and are tight at the bottom. Kind of a combination.
  • Record players replaced by CDJ’s w/ the addition of a laptop.
  • Expensive liquor in dispensers instead of free pour
  • Women more openly talking to and harassing (as evidenced by the woman standing next to me having her butt double palmed by a passing woman) other women

Same:

  • Music is still played in sets. New, recent, old, old school, reggae, regional (dirty south in this case), night ends with a slow music set although rap lyrics over R&B beats don’t quite equal a slow jam to me.
  • Men will buy a woman a drink then follow her around the rest of the night.
  • Women travel in packs and dance together dissuading men from asking.
  • The larger the group of the woman pack the sexier they dress.
  • Winding and grinding still appear to be the dances of choice
  • I still don’t dance

Good to catch up with friends in a familiar place but not where I wanted to be. The road is calling.

No comments: