Sunday, October 12, 2008

What does the color of a church’s door signify?





I’m going to do some research on this one unless someone posts the answer. Why are they not a uniform color? The color of a church’s door usually stands out as something intentionally done in contrast or contradiction to the color of the building. Is it to catch the attention of sinners? A stop sign to remind us where to find redemption or something related to that particular sect of the faith? Speaking of church doors what is meant when the preacher says "the doors of the church are now open/closed"? Probably revealing my heathen but I don’t know so I’m asking (I don’t have WiFi or a laptop at the moment so don’t tell me to google or wikipedia it) Maybe, just maybe I should go to the church with the red door and ask someone inside. Is it still legal to talk to people in our Internet information at your fingertips world? I’ll let you know…or not depending on police response time.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apparently, you are not the first to ask this question...I googled, found a bunch: Red doors can mean anything from the "Blood of Christ" to "The mortgage is paid". In the Middle Ages when church property was regarded as extremely sacred, someone who was in trouble with the law could find sanctuary if they reached the red doors of the church (a reference to the Bible story of the command to smear lamb's blood on the outside of the door for protection from a plague-like event) . If one could get in, they would not be subject to civil law and local authorities wouldn't dare cross over onto "God's" domain. Other colors for church doors could be significant to various saints of other Anglican Christian denominations.

Anonymous said...

As for the "Open Church Doors", This is the time during a church service where an invitation is offered to accept Christ as Savior, or to make the decision to become "saved" in a public way, with witnesses. It is a formality that often also means that you are deciding to join a particular church and will ultimately support the church financially and in other ways. "Closed Church Doors" is a signal that this formality or part of the service is ending. Although, I have seen the Open/Closed directive used interchangeably.

Naturally Alise said...

@solita As soon as I read and posted up Elliot's blog I went on a google frenzy myself to find out the signifigance, very interesting. I wonder what signifies the double glass doors of my church growing up, lol...

Anonymous said...

Alise, we had glass doors too! I think it was a security issue, wanting to be able to see who was coming and going??? Or maybe, glass doors were more fashionable or cheaper :)
Just guessing...
Peace

Unknown said...

I just located your blog and wished to let you know that I have certainly loved reading your blogs.


door hinges