Monday, October 20, 2008

Do you know...

...right now at this moment without peeking. What kind/color underwear you have on? Now if you are going on a date later it doesnt count. If you are matching your underwear to your outfit ( I have seen it done enough that I have accepted it) again doesnt count. If your planning on being in any type of situation that may cause your underwear to show or have to be shown (this is mainly for the drinking game/truth or dare clique...or again date night:-) Basically if you chose underwear because you knew someone besides you was very likely to see them and this is why you know what kind of underwear you have on it doesnt count. Now, with those cheaters out of the way do you know what kind/color underwear you have on? Why do I ask? I'm looking for Co-signers:-) Because I didn't. As I was getting into the shower at the campground, undressing as efficiently as one can in a stone building with no heat and cold water spewing at you, I looked in the mirror and paused because instead of the green underwear I thought I was wearing I had on black pair. And this freaked me out, not because I had an extra shower somewhere along the way I'd forgotten about, but because of...well...how can you forget something that close to you? That intimate to you? I contemplated the reason I didnt know and why you might not know is that those things that are closest to us (in more than just a physical way) are not things that we think about when venturing out in our everyday, not taking a shower in a cold bathroom world. We hurry up and get up, dressed, and out the door with not much thought to the closest parts of us. Just on how close we live to work and how long will it take to get there. But we definitely know what we have on the outside - even those who refuse to abide by the dress code of their job or the social compact. Do we feel that what is part of us but no one can see is not as important as what others see because this is how they define us? Do we define ourselves by how others define us? Maybe I just forgot about a shower and should shut up...but do you know what color underwear you have on? (Dont Peek!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!!
I laughed so loudly the priest in the office down the hall wanted to know what I was laughing about...

I know what color mine are b/c I choose them according to my mood :)

Anonymous said...

It took some thinking, but I was able to remember the color AND style of underwear.

But I'll still co-sign. Why?

Because I agree with your overall premise. It is so easy to take for granted those things (and people) that are closest to us.

We probably don't need to always know what kind of underwear we have on-- I mean, a extra shower here or there or preoccupation when we chose them in the morning may not make much difference, BUT a lack of awareness of the people and places that surround us daily, just might.

Naturally Alise said...

I always do, but maybe that is a woman thing, but I digress.

To one of the plethora of questions you posed: Do we define ourselves by how others define us?
I know that I do at times, and that is part of being a performer/artist sometimes, I often look for that validation through others praise instead of appreciating my process for what it is and just take others praise as icing on the cake.... i'm getting there though, black lacy draws and all... lol